1) Make sure:
– You do write a good summary in Writing Task 1
– A good Thesis Statement in Writing Task 2 (Your report and essay won’t work without them anyway.)
2) Watch your watch! No one is going to keep you on track as far as elapsed time is concerned. It’s up to you to monitor your own progress.
4) In Writing Task 2, if 38 minutes have passed and you’re still writing Body Paragraph sentences, finish the sentence you’re writing, quickly. Then, start a new paragraph (and make sure it looks like a new paragraph), and begin it with the words, “In conclusion,…” Then rewrite the Thesis Statement. (This needs to be done in any case. It is an essential part of the essay.)
5) Ideally, in Writing Task 2, you should write the Restatement in reverse order of the Thesis Statement. For example, if it is an opinion essay, and you wrote your opinion and three reasons in the Thesis Statement, write the three reasons first, and then the opinion, in the Restatement. Again, if you have time and can, change a word or two (but not the meaning). If not, just write it exactly the way you did at the end of the Introduction.
6) Make sure you finish these “In conclusion,…” sentences on time. The task ends at exactly 60 minutes. Obviously, this will not save you any lost points if all you have is a few sentences and your essay is far too short in the first place. But if you have written most of the essay, and followed the format, it’s essential that you not lost a whole band point just because it isn’t finished. So make it look finished!